A POEM - FILL IN THE BLANKS
Fill in the blanks with one word from the word bank below.
A man is made of (1) and (2) of (3) and (4) and (5)
The very same things make his son
As those that make his daughter.
A tree is made of (6) and (7), of (8) and fruit and (9).
It keeps a (10)'s nest in its (11) and blackbirds eat the (12).
A table's made of (13), and (14), and (15).
And when man takes his (16) and (17)
And sets the (18) flying,
Is it a (19) being born or just a (20) that's dying?
axe bark bird blood bones berries boughs cherries eyes leaf flesh rain sap sawdust strikes table thunder tree water wind
WORD DEFINITIONS (Optional, to make it easier)
(1) the soft substance of a human or other animal body, consisting of muscle and fat
(2) the fluid that circulates in the vascular system of human beings and other vertebrates
(3) organs of vision or of light sensitivity
(4) the hard connective tissue forming the substance of the skeleton of most vertebrates
(5) a transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid, a compound of hydrogen and oxygen
(6) a lateral outgrowth from a plant stem that is typically a flattened
(7) the juice or vital circulating fluid of a plant
(8) the external covering of the woody stems, branches, and roots of plants
(9) any small, usually stoneless, juicy fruit
(10) warm-blooded vertebrates having the body covered with feathers and wings
(11) a tree branch, especially a large or main branch
(12) the fruit consisting of a pulpy, fleshy fruit enclosing a one-seeded smooth stone.
(13) a natural movement of air of any velocity
(14) water from the atmosphere falling in drops
(15) the sound that follows a flash of lightning
(16) a heavy edged head fixed especially used for felling trees and chopping wood
(18) small particles of wood produced in sawing
(19) a piece of furniture fixed on legs
(20) a woody plant having a single usually main stem